Poetry Analysis Steps
1. Read the poem several times.
2. Define any unknown words
4. Identify the tone of the poem. Provide evidence to support your answer?
5. Identify the point of view. Who is the speaker(s) of the poem? (A Child, An Old Man, A Tree etc.) Who is the audience? (Who is the poem written for? Is it politically, socially or religiously charged? If so does this offer an insight as to who it is written for?)
6. What is taking place in the poem? (Actions or ideas)
7. What is the central purpose of the poem? (Theme(s))