As outlined in previous blogs your essay should be a comparison of the similarities and differences in the texts. This should be a blend of summary and analysis. Also ensure you compare both texts simultaneously. In class I gave you a system on which to structure your answer but here are some more tips:
The most important thing to decide on in advance is what aspects/topics you wish to compare: For theme or issue you might plan it out like this but at all times focus on answering the Q:
- Introduction: Address the question, introduce your theme, then your texts – genre, name, author and mention the central characters that you will focus on in your discussion of this theme. Give a brief overview of what you hope to discuss in your answer.
- How is this theme introduced? How does this theme affect the central character/characters?
- How is this theme developed? Do the central characters embrace or fight against it? How?
- Do other characters influence how this theme unfolds? (Example: Jasper is an opponent of govt control in CM, while Parsons is the ideal Party member in 1984)
- How does the text end & what are our final impressions of this theme as a result? In 1984 the govt remain in control however in CM an revolution/uprising has begun
- Conclusion: Sum up you argument/discussion by reiterating what you have said – refer to the question again discussing both texts
IMPORTANT - USE APPROPRIATE LINK WORDS:
| || |